Monday, April 11, 2011

Chapter 21

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 21

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I knew that I had to leave as soon as I possibly could manage it. My rudder had been completed, it was just getting on there that I had put off. At least I wasn't leaving for myself anymore. I needed to get the love of my life some help. Instantly. As I ran through the woods, my mind raced about everything I had learned and accomplished. Mostly I thought about Akolo and how much I loved him.

Since my mind was not completely concentrating on what I was doing, I tripped and fell probably four times. My knees were badly scraped when I got to my home and raft.


 









I pulled the rudder made by the villagers out from its hiding spot and started to attach it. Though I was in a hurry, I tried to take my time so I knew that it was on securely. I didn't want to risk anything. Just as I got it attached, and the ropes taught, I heard a familiar and unwelcome voice from behind me.

"There you are, and your raft!" Shouted Professor Rhinehart.

I stood there stunned. How did he find me, and what did he want?

"Are you sure you've thought this all the way through?" He asked me


How did he know everything? That shocked me. I explained to him that I had to help Akolo, there was no other way. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw something in the sky.

"OH NO! Professor watch out!" I yelled.



 


I ducked and dodged the fireballs coming from the volcano. Apparently it had continued to erupt after I had departed and was now shooting out balls of flaming lava.

At one point, though my memory is kind of foggy, I saw that the sail for my raft had caught fire. It had been struck. There was no stopping my emotions.












I yelled and screamed, "This can NOT be happening. NO WAY. I am imagining it all. AKOLO! How will I save him now? What will I do?" My yelling ended in tears flowing from my eyes.





The professor tried to help "Take it easy m'dear. Do not fret."

I was still angry, "Oh YEAH? You know of a sale at the sail shop nearby? It will take forever to get another sail woven. I have to leave NOW, not later! This is important!"


Don't worry about Waiata, he's fine - not on fire. Just looks like it.
The professor attempted to quiet me. It didn't really work but I paused long enough for him to speak.

"I don't know if it will help you, but there is a research base here. You might be able to find a sail there. If not something suitable for one."

I looked at the man with pure hatred. At this moment, I loathed him for not telling me this long ago. But a brief second in my mind, I thought 'If I had gotten a sail earlier, I would never have known Akolo. I would never have loved him. I'm glad he didn't tell me about this then.' Now I needed it though.

"Where?" Was all I said. I was still slightly angry at him, but at least not so fired up about it.


He told me how to get there as quickly as possible. "Go past the hot springs, but please dear, be so careful the ground can get terribly hot."

"I've walked on hot coals for Akolo, I would do it again in a heartbeat." I said to him as I walked off. I needed to get there as quick as my feet would carry me.


I passed the hot springs with wings on my feet. As much as my lungs hurt and my throat burned from running so long, I trudged on until I found what I was looking for.

The professor was right. There was an old abandoned research center. Equipped with plane. I was bound to find something here to work.

 

There were three buildings, one was just the hanger for the plane, a second was a severely broken down storage area, and the third a building that was mostly in tact. Since the office looking building, probably the lab, was closest - I searched that first.

Downstairs had nothing of use to me. Just a bunch of empty vials and test tubes. I was correct in my assumption of the lab. This is where they probably studied the local wildlife around, plants and animals alike.

I jerked my mind back to focus on my task.

Up the stairs I had a little more luck.


This seemed to be where the scientists, or whatever they were, slept. There was a backpack on the floor underneath a dartboard. When I got close and examined it, I determined that it was a parachute. Perfect.

A parachute would be great for a sail.

Quicker than a lightning flash, I was back at my camp, my raft in sight. I was ready to attach this sail and get off this island in search of help. I couldn't bear the thought of Akolo suffering another minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment